?

Log in

No account? Create an account
Triangle Martial Arts Association
 
[Most Recent Entries] [Calendar View] [Friends]

Below are the 1 most recent journal entries recorded in Triangle Martial Arts Association's LiveJournal:

Saturday, December 10th, 2005
2:38 pm
[zanthraxis]
Introduction
Hi all! This is the first entry for the Triangle Martial Arts community, so I thought I'd throw in some more background for all the newcomers as to who we are and what we do:

First off, hi, my name's Michael and I'm a 6th gup/green belt in Triangle Taekwondo (TTKDC), the oldest and largest club in the Triangle Martial Arts Association (TMAA) umbrella. I'm in the intermediate/advanced class about 80% of the time, with the other 20% with me either being sick or too lazy to go to class. I'm also trying to set world records for longest stint as a color belt and not having to instruct anyone (going on three years ;). So with me out of the way, here's some info about the club, snipped directly from its website:

The Triangle Martial Arts Association (TMAA) came to life on November 12, 1998 in the wake of the hate crime that resulted in the murder of 21-year-old Wyoming student Matthew Shepard.

The initial intent of TMAA was to provide martial arts and self-defense instruction geared specifically toward the adult LGBTQQ community of San Francisco, while remaining open and welcoming to everyone. The early success of the program, and positive response from the community provided ample evidence of the organization's ability to expand its mission and goals beyond the LGBTQQ community, and beyond San Francisco.


We haven't actually spread beyond the borders of SF as of now, but we do have about a dozen or so programs across the world and the US who we keep in touch with who are LGBT-friendly, and there are plans for one or a few black belts to leave SF and start their own chapters in the not-too-distant future. A bit more from the website:

TMAA presently focuses on encouraging the participation of all LGBTQQ, senior, and disabled individuals in several full-time instruction programs as well as self-contained seminars and outreach efforts.

On May 05, 2004, Triangle Martial Arts Association proudly became recognized by the United States Internal Revenue Service as a 501(3)(c) nonprofit organization.

Since its creation in 1998, TMAA has served over three hundred students in our full-time instruction programs, more than one hundred individual self-defense seminar participants, and has provided free seminars and outreach activities to over thirty Bay Area non-profit organizations working with LGBTQQ and youth clients.


TMAA has gotten very busy and they now have at least one program every day of the week except Sunday. All of our programs are hosted at two places. All beginner classes are held at Everett Middle School, Girls Gymnasium, 450 Church Street, San Francisco, while all the other classes are at Hwa Rang Kwan Martial Arts Center, 371 5th Street, San Francisco.

To join, all you need to do is show up and bring $40 with you. That will cover a two-months' introductory membership, which includes your own uniform ("dobok", which by itself is $40 as it is, so it's a friggen good deal) and gives you access to the three clubs we currently have: Taekwondo (under the World Taekwondo Federation banner), Hapkido, and Jujitsu. The introductory membership also gives you a chance to see if TMAA's your cup of tea or not, without having to dish out a huge sum of money in the process. After the introductory membership, you'll enroll in full-time membership in one-year segments that go for $480 per year, or broken down to about $40 per month. I dare you to find any other martial arts school that charges less than $100/month. Why are we so cheap you ask? It's because we're a not-for-profit organization and all the instructors donate their good ol' time to teach us whippersnappers how to be martial arts experts :)

Also feel free to check out the Triangle Taekwondo Club site as well as Triangle Martial Arts Association's.

Well, that's it for now :)
Triangle TKD   About LiveJournal.com